Get To Know Us
ABOUT ST. PAUL’S BAPTIST CHURCH
In 1887, five visionary, independent Christian believers were convinced that God wanted them to have their own place of worship. So, it happened that on January 29, 1887, the first meeting of the Baptist Colored Mission in West Chester was held at 307 East Market Street led by Reverend H. B. Price. The church evolved through a number of name changes and institutional progressions to become St. Paul’s Baptist Church of West Chester, Pennsylvania, the oldest Baptist church of African-American heritage in the area.
Faith and grace have brought St. Paul’s from a congregation of five dedicated souls to a membership today that exceeds eight hundred. Sacrifice and God’s favor has brought St. Paul’s from a $500.00 building to a multi-million dollar complex on Hagerty Boulevard. To the Glory of God!
St. Paul’s has stood as a living testimony to God’s faithfulness to His children and the teachings of Christ. It has served as an anchor for many souls in times of social injustice, human need, economic depression, warfare, uncertainty, and perplexity.